Tuesday, March 17, 2015

my love affair with Austin

This morning I was making my way downtown with not a lot of sleep in me.  I was feeling unmotivated and it was dark.  Then I saw them.  My people.  I mean, not the people I was supposedly meeting, but the running people.  It was 6:30 and they were clad in their reflective gear going across a bridge.  Running as a group.  I can only assume they are discussing their lives, their families, their hopes, their dreams, their chaffing.

I love this city.  I wasn't sure when we moved here almost 8 years ago that I would.  Then I joined team in training and made friends.  GOOD friends.  Friends who you tell your sister is pregnant before she tells her friends.  Friends who count on you to show up at 5:45 am.  Friends who count on you to find some open place for them to go to a bathroom on a 20 mile run because she sat down on the road and couldn't go any further.  Pretty wonderful.

So I felt all nostalgic.  I felt excited.  and I felt moved.

Thanks, Austin.  For showing off with your amazing weather.  Your packs of runners.  And your coffee.

No comments: