Tuesday, December 23, 2008

It's a hard knock life for me

... no one cares for you a snitch, when you're in an orphanage.

Or, when you are the new person and have like zero vacation time. Who would have thought that I, working at a religious organization, would have to work on Christmas Eve. I mean, I work with churches for goodness sake. NONE of them are open!!! I mean, it's basically pointless. It isn't that I don't have work to do, but does anyone do work the day before vacation? I mean, CHRISTMAS EVE. I need to prepare for the birth of the Lord. I'm relatively sure that requires me cleaning my house and then sitting in the car for 3 hours on the way to Dallas, having family Christmas with Ben's family and then going to church.

The rumor is that we may get out at 12. I mean, this is quite generous and I can't complain, but I'm going to... only because I shouldn't be working at all. In my opinion. Yes, I could take off. I could use one of my 2.83 vacation days, but I'm saving them. Tonight the goal is to finish cleaning the house and pack. This all seems extremely simple, but it isn't. It takes a lot more work than one may believe. I mean, outfits, dogs, presents, luggage, cleaning the bathroom, the kitchen, organizing. It's hard work to prepare. Yes, I could take off and then not worry as much about time and when we leave etc, but then I'm also trying to think ahead, vacation wise. This stresses me out. If I took tomorrow off we could get up and leave relatively early--not worry as much about traffic, get there at a decent time, but I take a vacation day. Or, I can work for 1/2 day, run home, pack the car, get on the road, pray that it doesn't take us 5 hours to get there like it did for Thanksgiving (usually a 2.5 hour trip), and keep my vacation time.

Thoughts? What's the plan? If I go ahead and turn in my vacation time, and then they announce that we DO get to leave at 12... will it count as a full day? I'm guessing yes :(

Stressful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is what you do:
Get some gasoline, some rags and an empty wine bottle (which I KNOW you have). Mix and burn the F----R down.

Vacation Time preserved.

Merry Christmas.

Unknown said...

i agree. but i am preaching at 5pm
sigh

Elizabeth said...

You are going to get no sympathy from me. Churches are NOT closed on Christmas Eve. On the contrary, the places are madhouses as pastors get ready for Christmas Eve services (and even crazier if you happen to be experiencing the biggest snowstorm in 100 years in your town). I don't have the day after Christmas off, either. So no complaining!