Thursday, April 17, 2008

you pull that thing down flip it and reverse it.

So... I've had plenty of time to write a blog since the last time I did...but alas, laziness settled in again. That desire to aimlessly search the internet while I'm at work having nothing to do other than talk with people on g-chat and look for jobs and dogs.

I have had 2 of the most amazing weekends in a LONG time the past 2 weekends. So what do I have coming up next week? Oh, right.. my husband is leaving to go to England for a week. Suck. SO, I had my girls weekend which was ridiculously fun. Granted, there is only so much girl time that I can have secluded in a cabin, but this was the PERFECT amount of that time. I laughed and even thought about crying. It's so nice to go somewhere after you have been somewhere else and remember what it's like to be known. To come into a space where you are immediately who you are (to these people at least) and they are them and everything is comfortable. I wonder though, if we fall into the family category systems even in these types of groups? We've all grown and changed and moved and gone a little crazy and come back a couple of times, yet when we come back, everyone is the same as they were in grad school. Interesting. It made me long to have that group again... that community, that safety. But it's lost, well it's lost in its immediacy. We've moved on. And simply put, we've moved. We are all across the US and getting together once a year is as good as we can do, and I'll take it. We shared our hopes, our fears, our sadnesses, our downfalls, and our loneliness (turns out I'm not alone at this stage in my life.) I guess there is comfort in knowing you aren't alone. I'm also not alone in thinking that eating a couple of brownies at a time is perfectly acceptable... right ladies? And perhaps drinking a special drink at 12 made with cranberry juice is deliciously intoxicating. I miss my friends.
Last weekend, I don't think I've laughed as hard as I did last weekend. Oh Lawdy. So, not only were Nathan and Mary in town for the weekend, but so was Burnet/Ricky/William. Whatever you want to call him, I'll call him Burnet for now. We went out for sushi on fri night and then to a bar, where they filled my drinks entirely too tall, and spilled on my skirt... and perhaps had one too many drinks, and then saturday... oh saturday. We met Burnet and Dan at Trudy's where we discussed the finer points of life over bloody mary's and margarita's... and the lawyers at the table debated the margarita rules at the restaurant with the waitress. She was defeated, but had to stick to her guns. Then back to our house where we just sat outside and laughed for HOURs. It's a good thing I didn't work out that day, because you know what they say about too much exercise... it's bad for the heart, I'm relatively sure. Again, I was reminded of what it's like to be "gotten." It was so comfortable. I could say whatever I wanted, without hesitation, that frequently, comes out as innuendo's that I don't actually mean. Was I embarrassed? Absolutely not. Seriously, I think our lives that day could have been a reality tv show and everyone would have laughed. everyone. I miss these people. Luckily, Mary doesn't have friends close to her either so we are allowed to call and commiserate on this.

And now... I'm looking at a weekend that will begin well, tonight by watching JUNO, tomorrow a date night that hopefully does not begin in an argument about how I'm indecisive about what I want to do, and instead my husband has gone to great lengths to plan our adventure. Saturday... I think we're going to go down to the lake again and then go to an egagement part... a tropically inspired engagement party. interesting? maybe. This is a couple who is trying to date Ben and I. I'm just not sure I'm into it yet... maybe if they buy me things like presents and dinner I'll become more acclimated. We'll see. Then Ben leaves on Sunday and I'm left to my own devices... and clearly, there are not many of those. I think it will inspire me to work out. That, or I'll be inspired to go to target everyday and perhaps stop by the domain on my way home, and perhaps open a bottle of wine in the evenings because I have no one to talk to other than my dog and the tv. Thank jeevus that the writer's strike is over. Thank you Tom Cruise with your voodoo magic.

So, I'm assuming that my week will be filled with running, laundrying, cleaning, girl movies that my husband does not enjoy, a lot of TIVO, and wine. I get a little nervous at night by myself, though I've greatly improved in this area. This is probably due to my guard dog... ok, perhaps it's just due to something else. Going to bed early. This is easier done when there's not someone you want to spend your time with present :) I see next week as my new year's week.. you know, when you do really well working out and eating for a week and then real life settles in and you realize that these goals you've set are ridiculously hard and it's easier to eat cheese and nap?

Ok, back to sending flair and perhaps another coat of polish for my toes... something at which I do not excel... painting my own toes.

2 comments:

JilliBean said...

okay... so i miss trudy's you can not tease me so with your easy access to my all time favorite eatery. Oh and btw....i will be in austin for 2 days may 4th and 5th. Most of this time is devoted to my beautiful nephew whom i have yet to hold but i want to see you.

Cate said...

Mmm, comfortable. That's exactly what y'all are. Just thinking about spending a Saturday relaxing with you, Ben, he-whom-I-shall-always-call-Burnet, and some margaritas feels comfortable!

I thought about you this weekend. Bought a new pair of Reef flip flops :) Talk about comfortable.