Sunday, July 19, 2009

fried chicken and manipulation.

One may not see that these things go together, but I saw it immediately.

(Granted, I'm sure that my nanny could have asked me to pick weeds in her garden for a piece of fried chicken--also slight manipulation, but it would have worked and I knew where it came from and for what was it's purpose.)

Moving on....

SO on Friday night Ben and I ate some dinner and headed to the pool. Our community pool is rarely super packed--even on weekends. This is odd to us because they've just redone it. It is really nice and huge. Whatever--fewer screaming children for our relaxation! SO we start to walk in and there are TONS of people... and a band playing in the corner (clue 1.) Then, I see rows of food lined up on tables (clue 2), and then a person saying (don't forget to come and get some free fried chicken) major clue 3. This is ANOTHER manipulative recruitment event for the church who does not believe in evolution--at all. There are no signs anywhere to state where this food comes from--again it look as if the community center is providing. There are just a lot of awkward people in one piece bathing suits/shirts on top of them in the pool talking with one another. If only I had worn a more scandalous bathing suit and then they could have try to hex me or something.

I know I'm rough on the conservies. I know that these are their beliefs... which are fine (I just tend to not agree with anything they believe--also fine.)

My major issue is when you try to lead me to Jesus through fried chicken, hot dogs, and sno cones. It isn't like we're going to a fair and all going to ride a ferris wheel. I believe your intent is to get me to go to church. So when I don't know who you are, or from where you come, or your intent (this is th unsuspecting individuals not yet jaded by the conservative Christian movement) I may believe that Jesus and Hotdogs are interconnected. I mean, maybe they had snocones at all of their gatherings?

A friend recently said, "Church isn't meant to be fun." I can't agree more. We aren't going to be entertained. We are going to reverently worship. It can be moving, and occasionally you will laugh, but it isn't a movie set up to entertain you (Much of why I dislike the HUGE screens in the sanctuary).

If I went to this church--I would be more than irreverent and most likely hungry for my fried chicken.

No comments: