Friday, August 7, 2009

Why? little creature?

I know I've mentioned the roly poly epidemic of 2009. They are everywhere in Austin in my office bathroom. Ok, I think more than just that because I've also noticed them at my house by our flower pots. I do not recall seeing so many of them before (except when I was a vile little child who played with them.)

Anyway, so I go to the bathroom and there is one devoted roly poly hanging out... stuck. on his (or her) back. 500 little legs in the air. SEriously, you are created to be ROLY why can't you roll in a ball and roll over. I help them with a little piece of toilet paper. latch on little roly poly, latch on. I save their lievs at least 3 times a day.

Which makes me wonder... are they part of the centipede family? Which then made me think about when I lived with Amy and I was home alone. I turned on the garbage disposal and a centipede FLEW UP INTO THE AIR. After I shit my pants screamed at the top of my lungs--seriously, loud enough for the next door neighbor who was in love with Amy and would give her expensive bottles of wine and ask her out 3x a week the entire time she lived there, would hear me and come to my rescue. (He didn't.)

Which then made me think... if I screamed at our house would my neighbors come? No shoes neighbor? hispanic neighbor? creepy guy living with hispanic neighbor? crazy eyes and no shoes neighbor? lady who works out 80 times a day?

Then I wondered about the roly poly... i hear your screams little friend. I will rescue you.

2 comments:

K said...

I know them as doodle bugs.

Amy said...

i'm equally scared of both large centipeeds and our old next door neighbor. very glad that we don't have to deal with either anymore!