Friday, August 7, 2009

Friends.

So, yesterday I woke to my dad calling. No, I woke up at 5:15 and then went to run and then came home and showered and then heard the phone in the other room.
1. My dad rarely calls me (I talk to my mom like 3x a day so there's no need because she relays all information.)
2. If he calls. I answer. (I don't ever think, oh, I'll just call him later. Because, back to point A, he doesn't call often--except when he accidently calls me which did happen frequently for a while, but that wasn't his fault it was because his phone was messed up and when he tried to check his voicemail it called me.)
3. He's worried about my mom and thinks she may have had a small stroke.
4. Panic.
5. Panic.
6. Panic. Calling sister. She doesn't answer. Call her again. No Answer. Call her husband. Call her back.
7. Mess of tears and stress because I can't be there.
8. Spend most of the morning convincing my mom to go to the ER for tests. She doesn't want to miss any work so she stays until lunch time so she can only take a 1/2 day.
9. Complain about how this is ridiculous.
10. She goes. Tests run. Could be a TIA stroke in which there is no evidence. On a heightened state of alert and panic.
11. Drink wine and eat cheese for dinner with friends from out of town.

I admitted to some friends that I'd like to call this an "episode." You know, because that's what old people call things when they try to pretend that nothing serious is happening even though it is and it re-occurs. Case in point. Remember the Friends when Joey wore Thanksgiving Pants?, "We were on a break!," Chandler having a 3rd nipple, when Pheobe got married, when Rachel ran all crazy in the park like Pheobe....etc etc etc. They re-run. I watch them. They changed worlds.

Much like this "episode" will change things.

My dad called againt his morning while I was getting dressed for work--Instant panic. Answer. Not a scary phone call. THANK YOU TOM CRUISE.

Still really stressed. Lets all practice a little self care, why don't we.

3 comments:

K said...

Oh no, I hope your mom is alright!!! Are you okay?

(((Hugs)))

3101 Austin Avenue said...

#1 - I hope your mom is doing ok now.
#2 - Does she still work for NISD, because I've seen the schools that district has been building...if she's still there, with her tenure and the amount of money that district obviously has, then she should have enough PTO that she shouldnt have to worry about taking a 1/2 day....if NISD is being stingy with Helen Hopkins, I may have to start a blog about what horrible people they are there! (You Know I Will!)
#3 - Parental "episodes" are scary, aren't they? Especially when you don't live down the hall from them anymore...Its hard not to be right there for them. My dad had a very scary 5 day ICU "episode" back in May...I was on a plane faster than you could say "I know I should have never moved to AZ".

Send my best to your mama....hope she's doing great! :)

Elizabeth said...

One of my parishioners had a TIA stroke last year. No lasting effects, but it was really scary. They ran tests to see why it happened, though, and it turned out she had a hole in her heart - which was okay because they were able to patch it without even cutting her open! Now she feels better than she has in years. Hopefully everything with your mom will turn out as well! Sending love and prayers your way!