Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The ash in my eyes caused my judgment

So, as I was sitting in ash wednesday service, contemplating on how I should repent and not be so judgmental something crossed my mind...

At what age is "old lady" singing voice acceptable/At what point does it hit? Or is it not related to age at all, but to your choice in ugly shoes and elastic pants?

other thing... why are many clergy women choosing to wear sensible shoes and zero makeup? I'm not saying to wear stilettos ladies, but perhaps not the same loafers my FIL wears (without socks, ps.) And, you can put on one coat of mascara and dust your face with a little bit of powder--again, I don't want you to go all smokey eyes or anything, but do embrace your femininity, get some layers (not this all one length, butt cut thing), and wear a cute flat.

Hmm did I judge anything else? Probably, but I did contemplate myself, my heart, and my changes over the next 40 days of living in denial. I also went to the lunchtime service so that I could participate in wine tasting this evening. I know... there are so many things wrong with this post I hope you pray for me.

(also note I have MANY women clergy friends who are the epitome of fashion and grace.)

And, I write this in full knowledge that I have a sickness in that I rarely leave the house without multiple coats of mascara--because I honestly think it makes me more glamorous. I have a slight problem

3 comments:

EMAAC said...

I think the old lady in church voice becomes acceptable around the same time as when you start talking with your lower teeth exposed. You know what I am talking about -- when your bottom teeth become more prominent than the top. Not sure when this happens or why, but they have to go hand in hand.

Meach said...

This makes me think of my mother - who during my competitive dancing days would grab me by the back of the kilt to pull be back for a reapplication of lipstick. I could care less - but it was the one thing she insisted on. I could NOT compete without lipstick on. I think preaching should have the same rules. Too bad my madre can't grab every lady preacher by the stole and throw a fresh coat on her.

A.B. said...

maybe the teeth thing has to do with when you get your fakes?