Thursday, October 7, 2010

Some call it CSA


I call it HFB (hippy food box.)

It's kind of awesome. One, it means I don't really have to go to the grocery store (except for meats.) Ok. perhaps that is the only point I need to make. However, I even have a SECOND point. It supports local farmers. Third, it's seasonal veggies which makes us branch out in what we cook. This week is the best so far--swiss chard, kale, sweet potatoes, okra, eggplant (grossville), radishes (narsty, husband burps), cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, onions, peppers, butternut squash.

We get LOTS o sweet potatoes. I kind of love them. They'll also be awesome when I start making baby food.

For my lunches next week--my last week off--I plan on making a veggie soup. If you do WW it's like crazy low points, you can make it zero, but I'm adding meat and probably some rice or orzo. I make it up but the main tomato juice is V8 regular and spicy and some water. Sometimes I add some fire roasted tomatoes and then whatever vegetables I want sometimes some carbs and sometimes not. I'll try to remember to take a photog of the steps, but lets be honest, I'll probably forget. Mama brain is about as bad as baby brain.

When does brain functioning return? When they're 18?

Operation fatty pants is still an epic fail. Last night I had 2 servings of peach cobbler. It was from central market, though... does organic count as good points? And, can you please note the size of that sweet potato? The one that's the same size as the butternut?? SERIOUSLY.

I said it was the size of a giants heart. Ben didn't think that was very technical. I knew exactly what I was talking about. Medical schools will probably be calling me soon.

2 comments:

CDS said...

That's awesome!! We've been thinking of doing the same here, I know people who do and they swear by it.

Meach said...

If this were a picture of MY HFB - it would be Okra, Okra, Okra, sprouts, sprouts, and a tomato.

Seriously folks? I'm paying you money to over-inundate me with random veggies and no regular ones? Where's my damn tomatoes? :)

I'm catching up on your blog today - makes me feel like we live close!