Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Why do people say stupid things?




Tubby Tuesday (or emotional train wreck Tuesday) is going to be postponed for Tubby Wednesday... or wobbly wednesday? Or woefully starved wednesday? (though I'm not starved hence the weight gain.) Something like that. I forgot to weigh myself this morning and I'm pretty sure I've lost nothing, if not gained weight since last week. Damn you Halloween and my inability to have self control.

Anyway, so this weekend G and I accompanied Ben to the beer festival. It was a BEAUTIFUL day and we wanted to head outdoors and what better reason than drinking beer out of tiny cups? It made me feel like I was indulging because I had multiple 2 ounce servings...and a hot dog.

So we're standing chatting with some friends and a lady comes up with her baby and says, "ahh, how old is he?"
Me: 3 months this week. How old is yours?
her: 8 months
her: Wow, don't those things scare you?
(he was in his carseat/stroller combo with a monkey wubbanub)
Me: No?
her: They make me think of SIDS. I never want anything around my baby's face.
Me: Um... he only has it in the car seat. When I'm driving I can reach back and find it.
Her: well they just freak me out.
Me: ahhh your baby has a full out mohawk.

I mean, obvi the thing doesn't scare me if I'm GIVING it to him. It's not like he found a dime on the floor and is eating it.

Why do people say things like that? It makes me be southernly tacky. I should have just added "bless her heart." Granted, my baby has a mohawk, but less hair so it's cuter.

And I'll leave you with this... (with a lovely teething blanket made by our lovely friend Jeannie!)

6 comments:

Courtneytcu98 said...

I pretty much hate that lady. Who the hell says that kinda thing? I don't get it. It's the same people who tell you every pregnancy horror story they can think of when you are with child. Cruel.

Deana said...

Future response at the ready:

"Because my kid's not a babbling moron like you, Rudeness. That's why I'm not freaked out."

And then a karate chop to the larnyx. For good measure.

SpeasHill said...

Stupid people. Besides, our FRIGGIN' NICU NURSES WERE THE ONES WHO TOLD US ABOUT WUBBANUBS! They even sell them at the hospital now. Using a paci actually cuts down the SIDS risk. Any, by the way, an 8-month-old baby is not longer considered "at risk" for SIDS, since its cognitive function should theoretically wake it up and rolls the darn baby over if it starts breathing already-breathed air...though, of course, being the progeny of this ridiculous woman, there's a good change the baby's cognitive function is fairly low.

Seems I'm feisty tonight...

Elizabeth said...

When my mom was about a million months pregnant, a stranger said to her, "Don't you just worry all the time about birth defects?" I think she must have been related to your lady.

CDS said...

Seriously...some people. Ugh...so irritating.
Maybe she went to school with the woman who the other day at PBKids who said "I'd like to have this blanket engraved" ...I couldn't help but say "embroidered" under my breath in her direction...

Perfectly Imperfect said...

Seriously? We love our Wubbie. I'm actually sitting here trying to figure out how it's a sids risk... It's tiny.