Monday, April 23, 2012

I'm a mean mom.

It's true.  I'm mean.  I don't mean really, but I have rules (as opposed to the hubs... who has zero rules.)  I'm not saying it's fun, but it's character and years of therapy, right?  That's what being a parent is all about.  Well, that and someone to eventually do all of the cleaning for you.  Again, that helps build the character.  Kidding kidding.  It's also about momtails.  Well, that or all about the sweetness, and the kisses, and the everything so so wonderful.

except tonight when I had to be the mean mom.  When G gets exhausted he thinks it's funny to hit me in the face.  He's caught on to the quick recovery of saying, "sweet mama" and rubbing my cheek.  Then he did it again.  DAMN YOU LIMIT testing!  Then I said, "we don't hit mama.  i love you.  Goodnight" and laid him down.  And left.  Zero turning back.

It's killing me.  I think it was the right thing (not asking for opinions.)  Sucks though.  Same mom who also thinks when Ben goes out of town that I could put G in bed with me and it would be sweet.  Except that it isn't.  And he's non-transferable.  And I like to have wine and then watch tv in bed.  Sometimes together.  ok, often together.  Who doesn't love wine in bed?  It's like being at a hotel.  Only hotels don't have laundry chair and snoring dogs.  And general clutter.

Which brings me back to the point that I need someone else to clean my house.  That and the whole mean mom thing.


7 comments:

Heidi Bruch said...

Perfect response for his age. Precisely what I do/have done. Caroline randomly smacks me in the face and then immediately gives a "gentle touch." I immediately put her down and tell her the same thing you told G. And I know you did not ask for support, but you haven't;)

Heidi Bruch said...

That was have it. Not haven't.

CDS said...

I am a mean mom.

Cate said...

I wish Jack was old enough to start getting lessons like that! He keeps doing things that I *so* want to correct him for doing, because they are a)irritating, b)painful, or c) both a and b, but I don't think "lessons" are going to have much of an impact on him at this point. Still, a solid punch in the throat will get a stern voice pretty quickly.

Also, this makes me think about all of the girls who came into my therapy practice who had all kinds of issues from not feeling like there were any boundaries or protection in their lives and had moms who were their "best friends" or were "just like my sister". They loved it, but it turns out their lives did not. Sometimes a mom has to drop the hammer. With love.

Vickie said...

We have the same "testing" behavior at the moment -- and the same reaction. Here's hoping they both learn the right stuff soon! I support you! :)

A.B. said...

He woke up this morning still asking for me so I didn't damage him too much :) Yet.

Thanks ladies!

Carol said...

I yelled at my misbehaving 3.5 yr old yesterday and a grown adult man said "WOW, you just put the fear of God in ME!"

So, um. Perhaps your child will be an angel but in case he isn't an angel and there are nights where you are exhausted and pissed off at him and made him cry with time outs and spankings and yelling and no story time or whatever thing might make you a mean mom that day, you are not alone. We all feel like shit for being mean. : )