Thursday, April 30, 2009

The power of prayer...

I do believe in the power of prayer.

I know this may surprise you--due to my extreme cynical-heretic-ness. It is also a statement I would probably not say aloud in public, or private for that matter. There is safety in typing--clearly if we're looking at FB status'.

Anywho...

So for work for the past few days I've been in Houston, meeting with one of our groups, and visiting 2 "church plants." 2 men who were sent by the umc to start churches ("community" churches/contemporary churches") in the subs of H-town. 12 years ago when they began their journey they were nothing. But, luckily, with the power of prayer they now worship 3000 people and have an inner circle of only males. OH, and God taught them and their team members how to do things. For example--one of the worship leaders didn't know how to read music/play an instrument and now he's proficient--because God taught him. Really? G- taught him? Or someone taught him? I'm not saying that there is not Divine presence--I'm just claiming issues with language (and possibly a majority of their beliefs. Such as.. you can ordain whomever you want to be leaders (not through the umc) and call them pastors, or only men are in your inner circle. Appar. boobs= sinfulness and are only good at working with children and nurturing jobs--and should be secluded from groups unless it is a women's group and/or a "couples" group. Also, men and women whom are not married cannot fraternize with other genders because it will only lead to sinfulness. As does drinking...

So as I sit, drinking a glass of wine, I'm contemplating life's mysteries. Such as--why do I feel like a stuffed sausage in my jeans? (oh, I have not been running and eat pizza 1x a week and drink wine every evening.) Why am I sinful? (because I drink wine.) Why do I want children? (because I have boobs and it's my job to care for them.) Why am I a lame-o white person? (because I do not raise hands in worship, close my eyes, lay my hands on others and usually--no clapping.)

However, I do believe in some of their purpose and their planning--(the conservies, that is.) I believe that we can come with the expectation of G- makin' things happen--instead of this being a one time event, it happens all the time. I do believe in the power of prayer. I do believe that G- listens. I do believe in the Mystery. I do believe that we each here G- in different ways. (I do love p &w songs) I cannot say that everything "they" do is invalid, nor are their beliefs.

Anywho... to remedy such things I have
a. purchased new jeans (and maybe a top)
b. ordered pizza (it's amazing and organic)
c. bought a bottle of wine (it was on special for Thursday for $7)
d. gained a bagillion pounds, walked out of a meeting because it was too much, recognized my cynicalness, and... picked up my Thursday routine of The Office.)

No comments: