Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Tricky.

So my baby is most likely a genius. He probably knows all kinds of random facts and how to tie knots like his dad.

That, or he is a bundle of energy awaiting his release from captivity. His newest trick, and favorite thing to do, (other than developing his antibodies this week) is to jab me in my right side and hang out there. You can feel his elbow, or knee or some sort of skinny body part. LOVE IT.

His other trick is making my belly huge and shirts seem shorter. Awesome. Luckily, I just noticed this at work before someone else did. Hello skin belt.

EXCITING THING--our stroller arrives today! I can't wait to get it put together tonight and get some pictures up. the mattress shipped today, I'm awaiting the name sign, the glider. We have our bedding (still need some sheets), car seat, dresser, MILLIONS OF TOYS, everything is falling into place.

Looking at maternity leave. I've been saying I'm working up until the day I give birth (to have more time with him), but... did any of you take time off before your little one came? Do you wish you had? Hadn't? I'm due July 28. I was considering making July 23 my last day of work... but that's one week less with the little one (assuming he comes on time--which clearly, first babies ALWAYS do.)

9 comments:

CDS said...

I am planning on working until I can't work anymore...but ask me again in late October...LOL!

Lowie said...

I had to go on maternity leave early. I was really swollen and having major gall bladder problems. I wish I could have worked up until his due date, because the waiting is the worst. Sadly, the Twilight series kept me entertained as he continued to kick, flip, and grow ginormous.

You will want the extra time with Griffin when he makes his debut. This is especially useful if you are planning on breastfeeding so you can master it.

Chasity said...

I worked up until THE day ... worked all day and went into labor later that night after dinner. If you can swing it -- I'd say, keep on working.

EMAAC said...

In order to provide an definitive end date for clients, I went on leave a week before my 1st was born. It was great being able to spend time with my husband and pamper myself (hello pedicure) before Riley came. I still love the time I had to myself before he came -- and it was while I was relaxing (watching TLC's a baby story, no less) that my water broke. For me, it was important to have those last days for me and my husband before we forever became a family. Either way, though, you'll be okay.

SpeasHill said...

Prolly depends on the nature of your work. By week 37, you've really got to be able to drop it all and go. (Yeah, you usually get warnings based on contractions, dilation, etc., but not always!) If your job is such that you can leave at any time rather than needing some time to prep and have a specific end time (you know, eschaton) I'd probably work as long as you feel up to it, as long as you are still able to get plenty of rest, 'cause it's awfully hard to come by later! Good to remember that, on average, babies are more likely to come before your due date than on or after it. But then again, I started a new job on bedrest/maternity leave, so don't listen to me! :)

Elizabeth said...

I worked until the due date, and she didn't come until 10 days later. I had absolutely nothing to do during that 10 days except sit around and wish I would go into labor (which I didn't do until I got the pitocin drip at the hospital). Caroline also had that poke me in the side trick. It was super-annoying and lasted until the day of delivery. She still pokes me - it's just easier to get her to move now... :)

Emily said...

I worked up until Liam was born... which was nice b/c, although I had 8weeks leave, he spent 10 days in the hospital and then our doc didn't want me taking him anywhere for another couple weeks. Right towards the end of leave was starting to be "fun" time...

However I didn't really get much DONE at work the last few days, I was just kind of surviving. So depending what your work load is like at that time, might be better to go ahead and start your leave.

A.B. said...

Thanks ladies! I think I'm going to work as long as possible to have as much time off as possible.

Though currently, I dream of having days off of naps.

Perfectly Imperfect said...

I just read this and know it's late, but I worked up until the day of my induction. Seriously, I got off at 1 and went to the hospital at 3. I wanted every spare second of leave to be spent with my girl and I'm so glad I did that!