Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Pessimism.

So for my job I read a lot of church newspapers. One of them was discussing generational differences in our younger generations (X,Y, and Millenials.) I am a member of GenX. We remember MaxHedroom and the Cosby show's red pots and pans--that Dr. Huxtable often pretended to be cooking with, (and lots of other things before this as GenX started in 1961. Whatevs.)

Anyway, this article found some new data about our youngest 2 generations (Y and Millenials) talking about how they distrust the church and some extensive research has shown that 16-25 year olds aren't attending church. Wha What? They aren't? That's crazy that once kids learn to drive and go to college their church attendance falls off. I'm glad that millions have been poured into this very important research. I mean, I'm shocked and amazed.

Ok, maybe not. They could have paid me far less and not taken a long time researching and interviewing people and I could have told them this. I'm good that way.

But, GenX-ers--we are pessimistic and self centered. I mean, who are you to call ME self centered? So what if I write blogs about myself and my life for a virtual universe. Y'ers and Millenials think I want to know what they do at all points in time by telling me on FB. CALL--or better yet, send a text when you are sleeping in on Sunday mornings.

In other news--a new bit of information shared with me by a co-worker about having a baby.
"Do you have a carseat."
"uh, no." (I have 4 months left to acquire this expensive piece of equipment.)
"You know, you have to have one when you leave the hospital. They check."

Britney Spears totally could have used this advice.

No comments: